Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Floss Daily Pin Cushion

Since IHSW I have been working on several projects but I was unable to finish them because I ran outof one or two floss. It's very difficult to go out to the shop these days: its too hot to go out with two kids when you are fasting, its almost impossible to find taxi these days (summer and Ramadan, bad baaad combination),  serkan came home from work in a state of pickle (he said so) - he was so exhausted and very sleepy and need his afternoon nap before breaking his fast in dawn, and the shops closed very early during Ramadan. I just don't know how will I buy my supplies, maybe when we go to Turkey in 2 weeks time I will buy online.

Anyways... since I had nothing to do I decided to make a little pillow cushion from a free pattern I found online and has been stored in my laptop for months. I have been intending to make one pin cushion or biscornu but I didn't have and didn't know where to buy the polyester filling (we called it dacron). But last week we washed our sofa cover and when we did that there were many dacron fell out and it seemed there was no point to tuck them back. So I saved them and made pin cushion. The great thing about this pattern is you can use any colours you have in your stash. No need to shop specially for it :)



I made two sides, one from the pattern and one I made backstitches of my name. I ended up loving the latter more :) I also made little hand embroidery rosebuds that I saw from lynn's blog (sorry couldn't find the exact post, the internet speed is hopeless now, will add later when it gets better)

It is a very simple cushion but so cute. My daughter couldn't stop kissing it and asked me to me one for her, while my son was so curious about it, wanted to hold it all the rime and pulled the needles from it. I've got frustrated a lot because my intention making it was to keep my needles safe, I used to pin them on the sofa and that habit drove my husband crazy :D I guess I have to make a less cute little pillow so they won't get attracted to it that much :)






***** many thanks, terima kasih, sağol, شُكْرًا
 

10 comments:

  1. The cushion is so cute! I love the "Floss Daily" play on words : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a cute pattern and you finished the pillow beautifully. Well done!

    And thanks for visiting my blog. You asked about using plastic canvas - once you're finished stitching, you just cut it out and you're done. You can back it with felt if you're worried about the stitches pulling out. And you just need a sturdy pair of scissors - no special tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Bea... I definitely going to try stitching on plastic canvas :)

      Delete
  3. Hello

    Your stitching is lovely and beautifully finished off too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is a lovely cushion, I love the fabric you used.
    I have 2 projects as UFO because I can't get the floss,
    I hope you can get what you need to finish yours.
    Greetings
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jessica, one day after I posted it I went to a shop and bought threads and new fabric, very happy! :)

      Delete
  5. What a sweet little pincushion. I had to smile at your son pulling the needles out though. I use a little tin with a magnet in the lid to keep mine safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jo... this pincushion is very cute but not very practical. apart from my children pulling the needles out, the needles often buried inside too. Maybe I should have used more firm filling (like real cotton, I remember my mum used to have one, it was very very firm and useful) or think something more practical like your magnetic tin lid :)

      Delete